Thursday, March 22, 2007

Reader's Question

Have just bought a new and small apartment and was wondering if you had
any ideas on hallway furniture (little tables etc)……what exactly to put in
one…as mine is completely empty!
It’s a cream/beige hall with wooden floors …a bit boring and lifeless!

Lauren

Here's a summary of a few of my favourites!

A Console table is always a good bet in a hallway, you can get some nice ones in Instore or even Argos, but this one is my favourite. It's from Habitat and costs €325. If you're going for a contemporary look then this would work really well. I love the dark wood and the glass on top.



In Ireland you'll find Habitat in Galway, Dublin and Belfast. I needed to find something a few months back to store shoes, books etc. but had a very narrow space to work with (between a bed and a wall). I found this understair unit from Argos, I loved the shape of it so I put two back to back to create this kind of open-storage look.



If you're feeling a bit more creative then why not make something like this. I shamelessly stole this idea from Absolutely Beautiful Things. I love these boxes which have been covered in wallpaper and glass placed on top. You could easily get these boxes made by a local carpenter and if they were made with a removable lid then they could also be used as storage. The wallpaper would be a great way to introduce colour into what you've described as a lifeless hallway!





I'd get three boxes made, of descending sizes, keep your phone on one, a plant on another etc. then if you've room, place a tub chair next to it with a co-ordinated cushion. If you like this idea but don't fancy the work of the wallpaper, the same look could be achieved with a nice nest of tables.

There's something drawing me to this Console Table from Woodies. I love its simplicity, I know its quite plain but it could be brightened up with some colourful vases or lamps on top. It costs €379.

And finally, if its storage you're after then you can't go wrong with some seagrass baskets, here's a nice piece from Argos.

No comments: